Other

THE KISS BET

Charm | 2020-11-29 14:09

image.png

SUMMARY

It’s senior year and Sara Lin just turned 18. She’s got great friends, a cool Dad (or so he thinks) and a whole lot ahead of her. The last thing she needs is to worry about having her first kiss. But that’s all about to change because her good pal Patrick just challenged her to a bet that will either lead to love, heartbreak or embarrassment…or maybe all three.

AUTHOR: Ingrid Ochoa

This webtoon reminds me so much of things that happened in high school. Well, not as intense as their bets because we rarely do that here but having fun with friends and not caring about grown up stuff. Such “nostalgia” as people might say.

image.png

As the title gives off, The Kiss Bet is a webtoon created by Ingrid Ochoa that began and circled around a silly bet that eventually turned into something serious – the kiss bet. High schoolers can be plenty playful when dealing with their everyday lives. Too playful that they agreed on betting one of them to kiss someone. Let me give you a brief introduction. The story started with the 18th birthday of Sara Lin, our female main character in the story. Then Patrick, her male best friend jokingly said she still looks like a kid and never even kissed a boy. Sara’s mistake, or so I say, was that she said that the reason for that is because she haven’t had the opportunity but will do it otherwise. And there on, Patrick’s mischievous smile began to widen. He then got Sara roped in a bet. A bet that haunted her, literally, if I might add. Her bet was to kiss the stranger sleeping in the subway – Oliver, one of the male lead characters. And how that bet haunted her, I’ll leave it to your curious mind or you can always just read it and wait for the episodes with me.

image.png

I enjoyed reading this webtoon. It brings me back to my high school days. Although, I did not quite enjoy it, there were still memorable things that happened. And I have to say, the art of this webtoon is perfect for high school scenarios. It’s playful in the eyes and it’s just a perfect fit especially with how high schoolers would define being in love as seeing flowers and stars around the person you’re attracted to and seeing life through rose-colored glasses. The expressions of the student were easily read as well thanks to the art style that was used. It’s the first time I’ve read a webtoon with this kind of art. It may be similar to others but not quite. And I think this type of art is appealing to many people.

If there is an error that I have to point out though, I’d say the typos. It’s not a lot but there are typos that can easily be noticed. Aside from the slangs and playful words used, there are typos that can be eye catching to some readers. Other than that, everything’s great. It’s like a magic door to your high school life, if ever you want to revisit.

image.png

I loved how Sara has to worry about her grades. I know it’s a typical happening in a high school life and I know people would tell me that of course it’s in there because it’s high school. I loved it because that’s it. It is high school. It made me think of those times when I had to study hard or else my mom would give me an earful. I think what makes this webtoon loveable is because we all or most of us had gone through it. It easily connects to the readers for that reason alone. We had crushes, we had low grades, and so much more. It’s the most eventful time in an individual’s life.

image.png

Although, this webtoon is still on the works with its second season newly started, it gives a promising ending. I have no way of figuring out what the writer is thinking for the storyline of this webtoon but I think the writer has given Sara most of the complications at the start of the story to give an impactful ending. Or is it just me? I sound like an amateur given that that’s how webtoons’ flow usually works but still. It doesn’t hurt to state the obvious that some people still fail to notice. I can’t wait to be given the answer to the question, “Who’s it going to be?” All love and support to the creator of this webtoon, Ingrid Ochoa, and many more episodes to come for The Kiss Bet(which I’ll be waiting for every week)!

Webtoonguide's PICK
Webtoonguide Popular
BL 추천
남성향 추천

Review

SHE MAY NOT BE CUTE
Charm | 2021-02-04
THE REASON WHY RAELIANA ENDED UP AT THE DUKE’S MANSION
Charm | 2021-01-29
SUPER SECRET
Charm | 2021-01-17
TRANSPARENT COHABITATION/MY BOO